Objective: Illustrate a portrait of a person of interest. Incorporate typography within the positive and negative areas of the imagery. Consider font faces that relates to the personality and the historical period of the person being illustrated.
1. Select a person of interest (Musician, Athlete, Actor, Poet, etc...)
2. Import image into Adobe Photoshop. Go Image > Adjust > Threshold.
3. Save file as a .jpg and import into Adobe Illustrator. Illustrator document should be 17'x11' or 11"x17".
4. Make the imported image a template. Lock down image and create new layers in the layer pallet.
5. Trace out portrait image. Discard original image which is on the template layer.
6. Go to dafont.com and download an appropriate font face that reflects both the personality and historical era of the person being illustrated.
7. Research the person being illustrated. Utilize quotes, song lyrics, etc, that person of interest is know for saying.
7. Incorporate text passages within the positive and negative spaces of your illustration.
8. Convert text to outlines once placed on document.
9. Consider a variety of techniques when placing typography such as (1) Type on a path tool, (2) Variety of size to promote voice inflection and visual hierarchy, (3) Pathfinder to create cropping, etc.......
10. When composing composition, consider the elements of design.
1. Effective rendering of portrait. Illustrated portrait resembles original photo.
2. Font face(s) successfully reflects the personality and historical period of the person being illustrated.
3. Typography has been incorporated into the positive and negative areas surrounding the illustrated portrait.
4. A variety of techniques was explored when incorporating typography.